Monday, August 16, 2010

I had an ultrasound yesterday, which was fine in that everything is looking good with the baby, but was very stressful. It was the follow-up scan after the 20 week one when they couldn't get clear pictures of the baby's head and face. We knew that was the only reason we were being sent back for another scan, but couldn't help feeling a little off about needing another scan after needing so many with Kat. So there we were having the scan - and it just kept going and going and going. The woman doing it spent ages around the baby's head, taking measurements and so on. And then doing all the other pics and measurements as well. After an hour in there, she asked me if I could come back at lunch time. Alarm bells started ringing. She said that she had well and truly exceeded her time doing the scan and she still wanted to get some more pictures of the baby's face. Why? What was wrong? She told us that given our history she just wanted to be really thorough and get everything she could. So off I went to wait for an hour and a half all the while wondering what was wrong with our baby. And thinking "here we go again". Went back and had another half-hour scan. Bub had turned 180 degrees (! - I hadn't even felt it) and was now feet down, so getting the pics of her face was easy. There was even a moment when her whole face just appeared perfectly on screen, almost looking 3D. It was amazing - and very cute. Anyway, the woman doing the scan then went looking for bub's feet. She asked if we got good shots of the feet last time - which we did - but she still spent about 20 minutes trying to get a good clear shot of both feet. It was reassuring in that if she spent that long looking for feet we felt that she really had just been meticulous in the face shots as well.

I guess this is the reality of what the doctors have been saying - that they want to monitor me very closely so that everyone is doing everything they can to make sure another stillbirth doesn't happen. I just wish that didn't involve being asked to go back for second and third ultrasounds. It stresses me out. I just kept thinking that we were so innocent and optimistic about all the scans with Kat. We just kept saying "oh, she's just a bit small" and so on and so on. This time there really was nothing wrong, but I couldn't help but imagine the worst.

1 comment:

  1. I would've been a mess if they sent me away half way through a scan. I have awful associations with scans after having so many for Matidla and so many of them ending up with me lying on a table, covered in goo, bawling while they explained something new they'd found. Yesterday's one was the first one in this pregnancy I actually managed not to cry in.

    I wish we could all get our innocence back along with our babies.

    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete