Wednesday, February 24, 2010

We have all felt Kat's presence on occasion since she died. Butterflies, or specifically a butterfly on its own, always makes us think of her. The day after her funeral we came home to see a mass of the same butterflies that had massed around my feet the last weekend she was alive. That was pretty special but then one flew inside and as soon as I saw it I felt like it was connected to Kat. That butterfly stayed in our house overnight and we all just felt peaceful whenever we saw it. In the morning it flew right into Michael's hand. A few days later I was shopping for Rory's birthday and saw one of the same butterflies in the shopping centre. I realised it was there but didn't really give it too much thought until it flew into the newsagents and landed right under the word "kat" on a Kit Kat. We had always called Kat our little kitty Kat but Rory wanted to call her kit Kat. I stood looking at that butterfly until someone came in and stood in front of it, blocking my view. It flew around that person and right in front of me before fluttering away. Ever since whenever I see a butterfly on its own I say hello to Kat.
We have also had a couple of strange experiences. The morning after she was born, before we left the hospital, I hugged Michael and he smelled like a baby. Then on our way home from Newcastle I could smell milky baby vomit on my hands. For several weeks afterwards I would occasionally smell baby on Sienna when she cuddled me. It happened a few times, completely out of the blue each time. One of the strongest was the smell on the clothes I wore in hospital. I went in wearing a dress that I left on for most of the day. I changed into a big t-shirt a couple of hours before she was born. We could both smell baby on the t-shirt after it had been washed and ironed twice. And for about a month afterwards, every time I wore that dress I would smell milk. Only when I wore that dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment