Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I've written before about 'Golden Slumbers'.

It was originally sung by The Beatles and covered beautifully by Ben Folds for the 'I Am Sam' soundtrack. It was that version we had playing in the car once on our way to Newcastle for an appointment at the Maternal Fetal unit.

'Golden Slumbers' has been a favourite of Michael's for many years and he has performed it many times. As we listened to it that day I said 'hopefully you will sing that to our baby every night as a lullaby'. 'Hopefully' because at that stage fear was setting in for our baby. We didn't know then that we were having a girl, but as soon as we found out, 'Golden Slumbers' became 'Kat's Lullaby'.

A few short weeks later it became her funeral song. We had it played right at the end as her coffin was lowered.

When I was pregnant with Caira, the first time we went shopping for baby things the Ben Folds version came on in the shops. We laughed, cried, hugged and said hello to Kat who, it seemed, was joining us in our excitement for her little sister.

Yesterday Caira didn't sleep all day. As I tried to get her to sleep, in desperation I started singing 'Golden Slumbers' to her. She smiled a huge smile and stopped wriggling. She still didn't sleep, but it calmed her.

Later at night I was still trying to get her to sleep. After singing it myself for a while I played the song. It made Caira smile. It made me sob.


1 comment:

  1. I have this song on my iPod as 'Kat's song' :)
    I love that Kat-related things make Caira happy :)

    ReplyDelete